LOCAL NEWS UPDATE 5/9/2018
Written by Tristan Bishop-Smith on 6 September, 2018
AMBULANCE SERVICE EXPECTED TO IMPROVE IN NORFOLK AND SUFFOLK
Ambulance chiefs say they now expect to see an improvement in the service’s performance in Norfolk and Suffolk in the future.
The Ambulance trust’s chairwoman Sarah Boulton says they’re looking to provide a better service, particularly in the least densely populated areas of the region, over the next three years.
She says a larger number of staff and more ambulances will be available to provide improved coverage, following the commissioning of the service for six years.
HERITAGE TRIANGLE REPAIRS DELAYED
Repair work to paving in the Heritage Triangle area of Diss has been delayed. The latest work to remedy cracks in the pavement is now set to begin a week later than planned – on Monday, September 17th.
Market Hill will be closed during the work, which will take place overnight, starting from 7pm, and last for two weeks. The delay’s due to a subcontractor not now being available for the work.
PLANS FOR NEW PUB BY THE MERE MOVE FORWARD
Plans for a new bar and restaurant near the Mere in Diss have moved a step closer.
An application for the new pub in Kings Head Yard, with a boardwalk along the water’s-edge, was submitted by Wetherspoons, last autumn. The company has now come back with proposals to meet several conditions set by South Norfolk Council, including the design of the foundations and archeological stipulations.
It’s understood that piling for the building is a problem, as well as a major cost.The application, which is pending final consideration, has been on-going for some time.
A Wetherspoons spokesman has confirmed to Park Radio that they remain in negotiations for a site in Diss, where they are keen to open a branch.
THE NUMBER OF FIELD FIRES SOARS IN SUFFOLK
Suffolk fire service was called out to three times as many field fires in just two months of this summer, compared to the whole of last year.
They tackled a total of 43 fires in the open, during June and July, at the height of the heatwave – against 16 in 2017. Seven of the incidents are said to have been started deliberately, with the cause of another 11 unsure.
HOPES TO END ROUGH SLEEPING
Mid Suffolk council wants to end rough sleeping in its area in the next five years.
It’s also working with Babergh council to reduce the use of B&B accommodation for the homeless, which has cost the two authorities £70,000 in the past year.
The two councils are hoping to spot people at risk of becoming homeless sooner and to set up a partnership for the homeless around the county.